Saturday, August 13, 2005

Mi Casa Es Su Casa

Ok, I realize now that I should not have referred to my current living situation as a shack. It is not a shack. I have now seen "real" shacks and have learned that my house is far from it. So here is the situation. I live in a house that is layed out very much like a one level apartment in the States. After you cross the moat (ok, it's not a moat, it's a drainage ditch about 2 feet deep along the side of the road) and unlock the chain and enter the front gate you enter the palace grounds which are adorned with beautiful palm trees. Within the palace walls are a living room, kitchen, three bedrooms (only two of which are being used), and two bathrooms (only one of which is serviceable or has been serviceable in the last five years). Upon exiting the house out the back door which is off the kitchen, you meet the lovely "Doggy" (a semi-friendly German Sheppard) who keeps us protected at night. The back of the palace grounds are enclosed with a large metal gate (think large garage door) and a cinderblock wall which is trimmed in barbed wire. On the day of my arrival, I was surprised to find the royal throne seatless. Did they expect me to squat for my three months here? That changed qucikly and there was a beautiful seat adorning the throne the very next day. Hey, at least it wasn't just a hole in the floor! I'm still waiting for a shower curtain. Really does remind me of my Florence experience (remember how I had to mop the floor up after every shower?). My bedroom is a little bigger than a closet (OK, OK I'm exaggerating, it's about a 7X7 foot space) and I'm happy to announce that I've only encountered one univited guest in my room while I've been here. That cockroach felt really good to the sole of my shoe. My only complaint is that my closet and the shelving in my closet that I've been provided to store all of my things...clothes, books, stationery, personal items...reak of mold and give off a wonderful musty scent to my entire room. The strangest thing that I've probably encountered while living in this house in CR is that we store the silverware in the refridgerator....to keep it from tempting the cockroaches! At the end of a long day in San Jose, I am always happy to return "home".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy! Mi amiga! It sounds as if your experience is so amazing! Do you have hot water? Your CR home does sound pretty nice by CR standards. Enjoy la pura vida... Nicole de classe de espanol

Anonymous said...

Amy,
How is is the weather? It sounds like you're having a good time, and that your host family is really nice. Are you in the same town with any of your new friends you met? Do you guys get to hang out at all? Keep us posted on your outings and what not, I like to hear about those, hehe :)
~ Amanda

Anonymous said...

amy, we can't figure out which one is the love of your life: the cockroach or the dog?

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! It sounds like you have quite a colorful family and you're accomodations sound pretty nice. It's nice to know you're being protected by a semi-friendly dog. It is good to hear that you are having a good time, that you're safe, and that you're in good spirits! Hope you update us soon!
~Jess N