Friday, October 07, 2005

Week 1 in the life of a PCV

I've been in my new town for less than a week now and have already become so bored that I've resorted to the internet after only day 5. Ok, it's not that I'm bored, it's just that I have nothing to do at this point in time that my family probably thinks I'm a lazy Gringa. I sleep for 10 hours every night, eat (bad food), write mail, read on the porch (which is interpreted as studying here), and then hop on the bike and ride to the center of town for a few hours everyday just to make it seem like I have important business to take care of. Sometimes this is true, other times I'm just killing hours till it's time to go to sleep again or time to eat some more really bad food.

I've been battling a cold for the last week so that hasn't helped in making me feel comfortable in my new surroundings. Today when I told my dad that, "Yo siento como mierda!" He went roaring into the house to tell his wife the fax pau that I had just said. In an attempt to say, "I feel like shit", it came out as, I'm not sure quite right, "I feel like shit is about to come out of me." So everyone got a good laugh. As they usually do with my language goof-ups. Last night I was explaining how my brother and his girlfriend are now the proud owners of a dog (a Dacshaund) and I explained the dog as being a "perro caliente (hot dog)" instead of the correct term of "salchiccha (sausage)". Same difference, no?

It's been raining here a ton and since the streets in my barrio are not paved, there are tons of pot-holes filled with muddy water covering just about every inch of the road. This always makes for a really fun bike ride where it is absolutely inevitable that you will come back with mud splattered over every inch of your pant's legs. It'd be so much easier if you could just ride around naked and then shower the mud off when you got to your destination.

That's all from me this week. Be sure to watch the soccer game tomorrow night (Oct 8) when the US plays Costa Rica! Go Ticos!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I'm sorry that your not really having a good time, or bored, should I say. It will get better! Smile :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy,

It's your cousin Allison. I was going through my Favorites and found your site. I went through all your blogs and read everything...it all sounds so interesting! Take care of yourself, we are all praying for you!

Anonymous said...

the only thing perro caliente and salcchicha have in common is that they both taste good grilled.

we miss you, love you and can't wait to have you back.

Your brother and Scooter both say ruff ruff Amy!