Thursday, March 23, 2006

How do you like them peaches?

Raise your hand if you think Amy is bluffing about her great Peace Corps experience. Ok, you were right. It's not all peaches and pineapples and it hasn't been for a long time. Oh, wait, it hasn't been like that ever. For the last 8 months I have been living in Costa Rica, learning the language, culture and customs, learning about my role as a PCV, melding into my barrio, and missing my family and friends at home like crazy. More than once I have thought about coming home. OK, everyone thinks about going home, but I thought about it and was really serious. A las, I have not decided to board the plane quite yet. I've wanted this for too damn long and worked too hard to get here that it's not quitting time just yet. Instead, I have reevaluated my expectations for Peace Corps (read, lowered my standards) and decided just to change houses in my barrio to spice things up a bit. Supposedly I am allergic to the animals. So that is what I am dealing with right now. Leaving one family and preparing for the next. Move in date, April 1. Work is starting to pick up. Can't really say I've had too much of it so far. I guess the work has always been there, I am just starting to take advantage of it along with the lovely Spanish skills I have picked up along the way. You wouldn't believe the words coming out of my mouth...you would think I had lived here longer than 8 months. So that is what is going on with me. Let's see what the next 19 months bring. If you are feeling up to it, I'd love to receive some snail mail to hear what you are up to.

Amy Burkert
Apartado 292-5150
Santa Cruz, Guanacaste
Costa Rica

No comments: