Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Feliz Navidad!

Well, it is finally that time of year. Everyone is hustling and bustling around town, making their last minute Christmas purchases. I am happy to say that I just finished buying all that I am going to buy as far as gifts go. Today's purchases included a few photo albums, a Strawberry Shortcake picture frame for my Tica niece in San Jose and modeling clay for my Tico nephew here in Santa Cruz. I even bought myself a Christmas present. A Winnie the Pooh 2006 agenda book...because I have oh so much to fill it with!

The houses here in Costa Rica have been adorned with Christmas lights and artificial trees since mid-October. The holiday music followed soon after. I insisted that my family wait until both Halloween and Thanksgiving passed before we got into the Christmas spirit. Little did I know, there was little Christmas spirit to be had at the house where I live. After the first week in December passed, I asked if I could help put out the Christmas decorations. So we headed out to the shed to get the box with the artificial Christmas tree inside. A box that obviously hadn't been touched in the past 5 years. I broomed off all the dust and dirt on the outside of the box before attempting the inside where I was greeted by a few dead lizards. 10 minutes later, once the tree was put together, the one strand of half lit lights was strung, and the handful of ornaments adorned the tree with care, we were finished. I should mention that there is also a miniature Nativity scene sitting on top of the TV. Since that day two weeks ago, no one in my house has mentioned Christmas.

I do know that we will be traveling on a two hour bus on Christmas day to visit my Tico mom's family for three days. Everyone but my dad who must stay behind to maintain the pulperia. I am anxiously awaiting for this holiday season to be over. In the meantime, I have been holding sessions in my neighborhood for the kids to make cards for their families. Also, we have been playing lots of informal soccer games (called majenga in Spanish) since the children are on a two month vacation between school years.

Merry Christmas to all! It will be over with the blink of an eye...or at least I hope!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AMY!!!

Gee, a handful of ornaments. It's either feast or famine. Think of all the time it saved!

Seems like your Christmas purchases were limited...is that due to living on a PC salary or did one of Santa's elves purchase some things in the states and mail them to CR?

Enjoy your Costa Rican Christmas! People pay lots of money to enjoy the holidays in a tropical climate!!!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Gee whiz. Did the Grinch come to Costa Rica and take over that pretty head of yours?
If you keep uo with those mean thoughts, Santa might leave you on his Very Naughty List permanently
Guess we should return the Mercedes we got you for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh, one more question!

Can we also forget about the gigantic Plasma Screen TV and the tanning bed once owned by George Hamilton we were planning to give you for Christmas next year?

We love you Amy!

Anonymous said...

hey Amy,

New Year! We all want to hear how you spent your New Year. You know if you're going to have a blog, you might as well keep it updated or you may lose most of your subscribers!
You know the saying: The customer is always right. Well it's time to make your customers happy.

Anonymous said...

hey Amy,

Happy New Year! We all want to hear how you spent your New Year. You know if you're going to have a blog, you might as well keep it updated or you may lose most of your subscribers!
You know the saying: The customer is always right. Well it's time to make your customers happy.